Chris Murphy Bands
Blues In The Schools
Sheet Music, Free Downloads
Chris Murphy's Bio
Musician, Entertainer, Educator, Saxophonist, Vocalist and Arranger, Chris Murphy is based in London, Ontario, Canada.He has been fronting his own band since 1985 and has also toured with two time Juno award winner Jack de Keyzerand American blues artists: Chicago Pete and Alberta Adams. Chris has released seven recordings as a bandleader.His songs have been played on CBC, Smooth Jazz and College radio stations. Chris was awarded the JackRichardson Award for Music in 2008 and 2011. He has been nominated twelve times for the Maple Blues Award for Horn Player of the Year. He is also a member of the Canadian all star ensemble the Maple Blues Band.Chris Murphy and the Village Blues Band have been performing at the Wortley Roadhouseon Sunday afternoons since Jan 2005. Chris is also the leader of the Firehall All Stars, a eight piece groupof blues veterans that performs at blues festivals and special events.
In 2008 after more than 30 years as a fulltime professional musician started his second career as a music educator.He teaches instrumental music part- time at Matthew Hall Private elementary school. In 2014 Chris was asked by the mayor Joe Fontana,to serve as a member of the London Music Industry Task Force.
From 1992 - 1998, Chris was the leader and front-man with the house band at the Old Chicago Speakeasy and Grill.The band performed three shows a night, five nights a week for more than six years. They recorded 2 CD's and were featured on their own TV show "Speakeasy Blues" for Rogers Cable TV. Chris left the nightclub to become themusical director for American Blues Artist Chicago Pete. He spent three years touring in the United States and Canadaperforming some best festivals including: The Montreal, Detroit and Halifax Jazz Festivals.
- 2010 and 2008 Winner of the Jack Richardson Music Award for Blues
- 1999 - 2011 11X's in 12 years, Nominated for the Maple Blues Award for Horn Player of the Year
- 2003 - 2008 Touring and Recording with two time Juno Winner Jack DeKeyzer
- 2005 - 2011 Touring with "Chris Murphy's Blues in the Elementary Schools" a sixty minute show best described as EDUTAINMENT. The show has been performed at more than 100 elementary schools in Ontario.
- 2003 First recipient of the Lifetime of Blues Award from the Labatts Firehall Reunion and the London Blues Community.
- 2005 - 2015 Chris Murphy and the Village Blues Band Sunday afternoonsat the Wortley Roadhouse 4:00 - 8:00
- 2004 Released 2nd CD "I'm a Happy Guy", produced by the legendary Jack Richardson (Order of Canada)
- 1999 debut CD, "Blowin the Horn", distributed by Festival
- Member of the Maple Blues Revue since 2001 (11 piece Canadain All Star Blues Band )
- Leader of the Local Horn Section for: Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole, Temptations, Little Anthony & The Imperials, Mary Wilson & the Supremes, Grease, Fabian, Bobby Rydell and Frankie Avalon.
- Bandleader and Musical Director for Chicago Pete, 1998 - 2000, more than 150 shows in Canada & U.S.A. including: the Montreal Jazz Festival and the Detroit Jazz Festival.
- Leader of The Old Chicago Blues Band, five nights a week from 1992-1998. The group perfromed with more than 50 guest artists and released two CDs.
- Leader of the Uptown Blooze Band, 1985-1992, the band was successful on the college circuit and released a recording Here Come the Blues
- Co-host of radio show The Blues Never Die, on CHRW FM 94.7 weekly 1996 - 2005.
- Host and Emcee of Speakeasy Blues on Rogers Cable TV (19 shows) in 1996.
- Gigs with: Alberta Adams (Detroit's Queen of the Blues), R.J. Spangler (Detroit), London Blues All Stars, Roxanne Potvin, Soul Sausage, Maria Auregema (Buffalo), Rod Nickson (Buffalo), Lance Anderson's Tribute to The Last Waltz, Denise Pelley, Dawn Tyler Watson, Douglas Watson, Phil Murphy Big Band
- Guest spots as a vocalist include: Mojo Willie and Bluesafire in St Catherines, Liquid Lounge All Stars in Brantford, Gary Kendall Band in Toronto, Brent Minet Band in Buffalo, R J's Rhythm Rockers in Detroit, The Odyssey Blues Band in Port Dalhousie, James Anthony Band in Burlington.
- Recordings with Jack DeKeyzer, Chicago Pete, McAuley, Gary Kendall, Little Bobby, James Anthony, Forest City Jazz Band, Big Gilson (Brazil). Maple Blues Revue
- Appeared in the films Talk to Me and Martin and Lewis
- Speaking and Musical roles in plays: Grease, Rat Pack.
- Emcee at various charity events
- Talent Co-Ordinator Jazz and Blues Festivals including: Quai du Vin Winery (Red, White and Blues Festival), Goderich (West Coast Blues Festival), Grand Bend, Chatham
- Night Club Talent Co-Ordinator: Boomers, Downtown Kathy Brown's, Old Chicago Speakeasy and Grill
| Go Back Recordings |
AS A PERFORMER: JACK DE KEYZER - Voodoo Boogie,Blue Star , 2014
THE MACKENZIE BLUES BAND - Slam Bam,Indie, 2014
ROBBIE ANTONE - Project ,Indie, 2014
CHRIS MURPHY - HOTWIRED, Speakeasy CDS, 2011
THE VILLAGE BLUES BAND , Live at the Wortley Roadhouse , Speakeasy CDS, 2008
BIG GILSON , Sentenced to Live , Brazilian Indie , 2008
JAMES ANTHONY BAND , The Saturday Sermon , Halton Blues Society , 2008
THE MAPLE BLUES REVUE, Live at Twisted Pines, Preservation Music, 2008
CHRIS MURPHY, Bitchy Woman Blues, CD single, Speakeasy CD's 2007
JACK DE KEYZER, Blues Thing, Blues Star, Indie 2007 - NOMINATED FOR A 2008 JUNO AWARD
GAIL OBEDIAH, Roots, Indie, 2006
JACK DE KEYZER, Silver Blues, Blues Star Records. 2005
CHRIS MURPHY, I'm A Happy Guy, Speakeasy CDS. 2004
GARY KENDALL, Dusty & Pearl, 47 Records. 2004
JAMES ANTHONY, Soul Shoes, GRAPEVINE, 2003
INDIE BUZZ, Canada’s Best Independent Jazz Vol 1, 2001
LITTLE BOBBY & THE JUMPSTARTS, Tickets is the Glove Box, Indie, 2001
CHRIS MURPHY, Blowin' The Horn, Speakeasy CDS, Festival Distribution Inc. 1999. Press Release Blowin' The Horn
THE McAULEY BOYS, Wonderful Christmas Time!, Popular Records/ Warner Music Canada,1997
PRESERVATION BLUES REVIEW, Preservation/Fusion lll, 1997
THE OLD CHICAGO BLUES BAND, Fourth Anniversary, Speakeasy,1996
CHICAGO PETE, The Blues is Alright, Speakeasy, 1996
LONDON MUSICIANS AND ARTISTS FOR IMPOVERISHED FAMILIES,1996
THE OLD CHICAGO BLUES BAND, Third Anniversary,Speakeasy, 1995
JIMMY JACKSON, The Project, Indie, 1995
UPTOWN BLOOZE, Here Come the Blues, Indie, 1989
THE FOREST CITY JAZZ BAND, 2 45's, 1984
KEITH BARRIE, But We Can Dream, KABA Records, 1984
Go Back MP3 Sound Bytes
AS A PRODUCER:
- CHRIS CHOWN, Stompin' Grounds, Speakeasy, 1997
- CHICAGO PETE, The Blues is Alright, Speakeasy, 1996
- JIMMY JACKSON, The Project, Indie, 1995
- Back to the top
Back to the top
Back to Chris Murphy homepage